APPLICATION PROCEDURE FOR STUDENTS
We require certain information for statistical purposes, which we have to report to the Department of Higher Education each year. This is captured from the Application Form.
In the Application Form you need to enter a code a code for each of Home Language, Ethnic Group, What were you doing last year and Disabilities. Please select the right code that fits you for each of those from the list provided, then write just the code in the space provided in the form.
For example, if your home language is Xhosa, then in the space provide for Home Language on the form, just write the letter I.
Please click here for a document containing the list of codes and other instructional details.
HOW TO APPLY IF YOU ARE A STUDENT TRANSFERRING FROM ANOTHER TVET COLLEGE
You will follow the procedure set out below for new students in points 1-9. You will need the original Statement of Results/Academic Record and a letter of good conduct from the TVET College. These documents will be returned to you. If you wish to apply for subject credits, you should do so during Registration.
HOW TO APPLY IF YOU ARE A STUDENT ALREADY REGISTERED WITH COLLEGE OF CAPE TOWN AND CONTINUING YOUR STUDIES
- Obtain your Statement of Results at campus.
- Consult with academic staff on your direction of study. Then complete the same process as the new students in points 2 – 9 to allow your application to be captured for the new academic year.
HOW TO APPLY IF YOU ARE A STUDENT ENROLLING AT COLLEGE OF CAPE TOWN FOR THE FIRST TIME
This process applies to South African citizens, foreigners with permanence residence or persons with officially recognised refugee status. International students follow a different process. (Please see the relevant section for details).
- Select the course you want to study. To confirm your best direction of study you are able to contact our Info Centre at tel. 0860 010 3682 or via email email@example.com for guidance and information taking into account your interests and current qualifications. You can also make an appointment with one of the Student Support Officers at any of our campuses for a free career assessment.
- You need to complete the application form available from our website here or from a campus near you.
- Complete the application form in full and attach all documents as requested in the form. Please remember that all information supplied must be correct, truthful and verifiable.
- Return the application form to the address indicated on the front of the form, or fax it to the number indicated on the form or to the relevant campus where the course you are applying for is offered. You can also deliver it to the relevant campus in person.
- The College of Cape Town will send a SMS notification to your mobile phone number acknowledging receipt of your application.
- You will be contacted about the further steps you will need to take. This could include interviews, tests and assessments related to your field of study.
- You will be informed about the College’s decision. If successful, you will be required to pay fees. OR
- In order to register you must complete your bursary application or sign a financial agreement with the College.
- You will be invited to register on dates as set out in your letter of admission from the campus where you have applied. Complete the final stage of registration on the assigned date. Ensure that you bring all the required documentation, including your original ID book or passport and originals of qualification results to registration day. A copy of your refugee status is also required if applicable.
Should you wish to enquire about the status of your application at any time, please contact the relevant Campus Coordinator and/or Programme Manager at the campus at which you applied to study as set out below.
HOW TO APPLY IF YOU ARE AN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ENROLLING FOR THE FIRST TIME
- All applicants who did not obtain their qualifications in South Africa must submit all their qualifications to the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) for evaluation. The College requires you to submit a certificate issued by SAQA stating the NQF level of your qualifications with your application form.
Please visit the SAQA website at www.saqa.org.za for more information about the process.
Evaluation of Foreign Qualifications Call Centre:Tel: +27 12 431 5070
Helpdesk: +27 86 010 3188
Switchboard: +27 12 431 5000
Fax: +27 12 431 5039
- Complete the application process as outlined in points 1-4. Please ensure you fill in the International Student application form.
- If you are successful, the College of Cape Town will send a letter of acceptance to your home address in your country of residence.
- You need to apply for a valid study permit from the South African consulate responsible for your country. They require that you provide proof of comprehensive medical insurance valid in South Africa (Hospital Plan or Life Insurance only will not be accepted).
- Once you are in possession of a study permit and any necessary visa complete the registration form and submit it with proof of payment to the College. Certified copies of documents should be posted to us well in advance of your arrival.
- Complete the final stage of registration on the assigned date at the campus you will be studying at.